Meaningful Conversations

Mar 20, 2010

Here is something very interesting by Matthias Mehl, a psychologist at the University of Arizona .He says in a study  ( and I quote from an article recently on the web on this ) ...."he proposed, substantive conversation seemed to hold the key to happiness for two main reasons: both because human beings are driven to find and create meaning in their lives, and because we are social animals who want and need to connect with other people.



“By engaging in meaningful conversations, we manage to impose meaning on an otherwise pretty chaotic world,” 
Dr. Mehl said. “And interpersonally, as you find this meaning, you bond with your interactive partner, and we know that interpersonal connection and integration is a core fundamental foundation of happiness.”

This makes complete sense....I mean how many times do we make facile conversations...small talk about the weather...asking about " how you doing" " all well"... without any meaning.

I say this from experience...the deeper and more meaningful a conversation I've had ... the more strongly I've been able to relate ...or have wanted to relate. I utterly despise clueless..meaningless..chatter...I mean it's so jaded...

We are indeed all in the hunt of our meaning...individual, existential ...its good always to know we have troops with a similar feeling
DESIGNED BY ECLAIR DESIGNS