22 Jump Street

Jun 17, 2014


Trust me I love Johnny Depp – his eccentricities always enthrall me…on all scales (except maybe the disaster of a character that was Dr. Will Caster). I love his drill of odd ball characters –Donnie Brasco ( not odd ball) , Edward Scissorhands, Ichabod Crane, Jack Sparrow, Willy Wonka, Rango, Sweeney Todd …the list goes on. But I officially had a full blown crush on the dude when I was hooked to watching 21 Jump Street as a kid, pre teen, teen –whatever .I loved everything about Tommy Hanson , Hoffs, Penhall, Tommy Hanson, Harry Truman , Tommy Hanson, Booker, Jenko, and did I mention Tommy Hanson ?  I even sang the theme song – as sung by Hoffs ( Holly Robinson) by heart.

Well you get the drift!

So imagine my surprise when I first heard of the movie version – with Channing Tatum ( drool worthy)  and Jonah Hill ( he co-wrote the story!) …it was so crazy ( like almost a surprise HIT in my view) …I actually ROFL’d ( literally!)  . And so when  22 Jump Street came about ( Trivia Alert : since the Koreans bought the church back and they were moved across the road to now a Vietnamese Church!!! – so 22 Jump Street)  – I got to wondering how are they going to top the prior performance?? 

Usually sequels are tricky and its hard to get them right.  But we get a sense of what the movie is going to do at the beginning when Deputy Chief Hardy tells Schmidt and Jenko ( a small spoiler alert ) that “ new formula aint working and they are going back to do the same thing again! . Yep…the story is the same…except now the dudes go to college to bust the drug racket and they knock your socks off laughing. The hilarious bromance, romance ( for both) , the gags, the hilarity, its also cheap and loud at times ( all in a crazy good way) …and watch out for the talented Lucas Brothers ( as the Afro Asians – Keith and Kenny Yang)…and guess what - the end credits are just as brilliant! …probably one of the best I've seen in a long time.

This is a total end to end watch- proof of the fact how you can do the same thing  over again with twice as much fun.

Tatum ( crazy drool worthy - incase I didnt mention this before  )  and Hill own this movie – and Jonah Hill ( yes – co-writes this too ), you are just a totally whole new level of awesome coolness for me now.

Go Watch! 

DESIGNED BY ECLAIR DESIGNS