Birdman - Movie Review

Jan 18, 2015

'Just saw Birdman today . I was sooo excited from the word go , it's been ages since I saw Michael Keaton and I don't really like to pass a chance to see Edward Norton - it's a crush since "Everyone says I love you" reinforced by "Fight Club" . And then to top off my curiosity was the fact that this is directed by Alejandro Inarritu- he of Babel & Biutiful ( awesomeness from Javier Bardem in that ) fame and the guy who introduced to the world Gael Garcia Bernal ( mr drool !). 
So you can imagine this movie had me piqued from the word go .

And honestly , it didn't disappoint .
While not wanting to giveaway the storyline - I can't describe how stumped I am to have gauged the similarity between the leads "reel life " with the films "real life" - I could exchange  the words in quotes and it would still make sense ! And I guess thats the most gripping bit about dark comedies - they come so close to home ! The protagonist's torment with his alter ego to claim back what he let go and that constant battle with "not existing" has an incredible depth of reality - something so many of us can relate to . Trust me - you will know when you watch it.

I'm not surprised at the number of nominations this movie has received for the Oscars - as I am equally not surprised by The Grand Budapest Hotel 's nominations - ( the later , for me however, pips the former in my view overall ) . So go fly with Birdman ... it's amazing .

*picture credit NewYorker

DESIGNED BY ECLAIR DESIGNS